The Counseling Center provides online resources that support our students' academic and personal development.
Post-Secondary Planning (College & Career)
College preparedness is key to a successful transition from high school to college. Students who are interested in attending a 2- or 4-year college must begin preparing themselves even before they enter high school. Selecting a college is a process that begins well before a student decides to apply.
Our staff works with students/families to help them:
Our staff also works with college admissions counselors to:
- Understand college admission criteria and the importance of extra-curricular involvement.
- Research possible post-secondary options.
- Assess their student's academic progress while at HFA: ASAD.
- Facilitate all aspects of the college application process, including the personal statement or college essay.
Our students should proactively:
- Clarify the strength of a student's high school curriculum, GPA (Grade Point Average), and ACT test scores.
- Schedule college representative visits, college tours and college open houses.
- Visit Café College, where the San Antonio Education Partnership College Access and Success Advisors provide assistance with the following key services: College Admission Assistance; Financial Aid Guidance; Career Exploration; College Applications; Advising; and SAT & ACT Preparation. For more information, visit www.cafecollege.org
- Meet with college recruiters when they visit HFA: ASAD.
- Set up campus visits at several colleges of interest. HFA: ASAD staff can help.
- Talk with people in the field they are interested in pursuing as a career.
- Look into scholarship and financial aid opportunities at colleges that might be of interest.
- Research colleges on the Internet.
- Complete the pre-selection process and begin submitting applications to colleges early in the fall prior to their senior year.
Recommendations are a critical element to an overall college application. Students should fill out a Letter of Recommendation Request form
to help a teacher or other adult write a letter of recommendation. Remember to be timely with asking teachers to write these letters of recommendation; you should work with their counselors and college application timelines to identify a deadline for teachers to return their recommendation letters.